Coronavirus (COVID-19) Note: National Domestic Violence Helpline, Women’s Aid, Refuge, Respect and other domestic abuse charities have raised concern about the impact of the lockdown on those experiencing and perpetuating abuse. Please do not hesitate to access support - national helplines and majority of local services are still available for referrals. They will be able to support you with assessing risks, safety planning, information and guidance as well as provide options for safe accommodation/refuge if necessary.

Report and Support Advisers are still able to receive referrals however at the moment we can provide telephone appointments only.

If you think you have experienced domestic violence, it may be hard to know what to do or how to feel. Remember – what happened was not your fault. What you do next is your choice.


Steps to take immediately

In emergency

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, call 999 and request an ambulance. When calling 999 there is an option for silent support if talking would put you in danger, dial 55.

Finding a safe space. If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe.

On campus

 If you feel unsafe or need help, call security on 0114 225 8888.

Off campus

 If you need to get home or somewhere else safely, use the Safe Taxi Scheme.



SHEFFIELD Domestic Abuse Helpline. Call 0808 808 2241 FREE, open Monday –Friday 8:00am – 8:00pm, Saturday – 9:00am – 5:00pm, not open bank holidays. Website: https://www.idas.org.uk/   

The National Domestic Violence Helpline. Open 24/7 and can be anonymous. Call 0808 2000 247. Website: https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/

Independent specialist support. There are a large number of support services you can access to talk about what has happened to you and receive specialist assistance.

Report and Support Advisers. You can speak to specially trained members of Student Wellbeing team. We can help you to go through your options, including reporting the incident to police, to the University, or to access medical and emotional support only and make no formal report. To speak to a Report and Support Adviser, please report with personal details and you will be contacted to arrange an appointment.

Your GP. If you want to speak to a medical professional, you are a current Sheffield Hallam University Student and you are registered with the Student Health Centre you can book an appointment, tel. 0114 225 2134. Otherwise you can contact GP at the practice where you are registered. 

Multifaith Chaplaincy. Confidential personal support to people of any religion or none.

Talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.



Report to the Police. If you are thinking of reporting to the police then Rights of Women have detailed advice about reporting to the police and a guide to criminal investigations which you can find here. A Report and Support adviser can support you with reporting the crime if you would wish to do so.

Report the incident anonymously. You can report online to Crimestoppers or call 0800 555 111.

Report and Support Advisers Team. You can speak to specially trained members of student wellbeing team. We can help you to go through your options, including reporting the incident to police, to the university, or to access medical and emotional support only and make no formal report.
 To speak to a Report and Support Advisers, please report with personal details and you will be contacted to arrange an appointment.

Report the domestic violence through University disciplinary processes. Report and Support advisers can help you make a report to the disciplinary team.
 If you choose to name a member of staff or a student in your report, there are procedures which set out the actions the university may take. This may include carrying out conduct investigations.
 When you report an allegation of misconduct to the University, we have a dedicated team who will consider your allegation and liaise with you regarding next steps. It is likely that you will be invited to meet with one of the team to discuss your allegation in detail to establish the details of the matter. We do this using student regulations and policies such as the Disciplinary Regulations for students and the Student Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedure which are available on shuspace.
The full range of possible sanctions is available in section 48 of the Disciplinary Regulations.




Sheffield Hallam Support for Students

Report and Support Advisers. Beside practical support mentioned above we are also able to provide signposting and referrals, as well as emotional support focusing on wellbeing/coping strategies and listening ear (we do not provide counselling).

Student Wellbeing. The wellbeing team are available for advice and guidance for specific issues and for ongoing wellbeing support for students. They can support you if you are concerned about your behaviour. Register to book an appointment.

Students’ Union Advice Team. The Students' Union provides a confidential, non-judgemental and free service available to all Sheffield Hallam University students. It is independent from the university, so issues with the advice service will not appear on your SHU file without your consent.
The advice team provides specialist advice and support on academic issues such as concerns about your university experience, formal complaints and appeals, disciplinary hearings and academic misconduct investigations.


Sheffield Hallam Support for Staff

Trade unions. Sheffield Hallam University recognises UNISON, GMB, UNITE and UCU. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

Local Human Resources contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.

Staff wellbeing. The University's staff wellbeing pages link to a range of support services, including staff counselling.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Help for employees when home is not a safe place. Employers’ Initiative on Domestic Abuse has issued useful information on support employees during COVID-19 https://www.eida.org.uk/our-covid-19-response

 A wide range of information can be found on DACT (Sheffield Domestic Abuse Co-ordination Team) website, http://sheffielddact.org.uk/domestic-abuse The DACT implements local priorities in accordance with nationally recognised good practice by working with the Partnership, the agencies who provide domestic abuse support services, and the people who receive support, to develop services, and ensure that those who need support get it as quickly, easily and efficiently as possible.







There are two ways you can tell us what happened