It can be very distressing if you have been accused of something, especially something serious.

The University will not make assumptions on the relative merits of a complaint. No party will be considered ‘guilty’ until a complaint has been investigated, however some preventative measures may be put in place if there is an indication of further risks. All those involved in a complaint will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. It there has been a crime reported the University will comply with the requirements of the Police investigation.

If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. A Student Support Advisor in your faculty will be able to provide more information.

Recognising that your behaviour may be impacting others negatively is an important first step to changing it. It might be useful to think about some of the behaviours that describe:

If you do recognise some of these behaviours in yourself then support is available

Sheffield Hallam Support for Students

  • Student Wellbeing. The wellbeing team are available for advice and guidance for specific issues and for ongoing wellbeing support for students. They can support you if you are concerned about your behaviour. Register to book an appointment. 

  • Students’ Union Advice Team. The Students' Union provides a confidential, non-judgemental and free advice service available to all Sheffield Hallam University students. It is independent from the university, so issues with the advice service will not appear on your SHU file without your consent. Book an appointment. The advice team provides specialist advice and support on academic issues such as concerns about your university experience, formal complaints and appeals, disciplinary hearings and academic misconduct investigations.

Sheffield Hallam Support for Staff

  • Trade unions. Sheffield Hallam University recognises UNISON, GMB, UNITE and UCU. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

  • Local Human Resources contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.

  • Staff wellbeing. The University's staff wellbeing pages (staff only link)  to a range of support services, including staff counselling.

Other sources of support

  • ACAS. Provide information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems.

  • Respect. A confidential and anonymous helpline for anyone concerned about their violence and/or abuse towards a partner or ex-partner. Call 0808 802 4040 (open Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm). A webchat service is available Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am–4pm.

The Freedom Programme - free courses for both victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse 

  • Samaritans. Talk to the Samaritans any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. Call 116 123 at any time.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened